Thursday, March 18, 2010

On a bus one day

On my bus ride home yesterday, I actually noticed 2 groups of very interesting old folks.

Group 1:

80+ yrs old man and 70+ yrs old woman was talking about how they have aged and hw they are spending their time nwadays. The thing that caught my attention was them recalling the days where they were neighbours. They were saying about those days where the neighbours interact with each other. The woman even mentioned that she actually bought another flat at another area but did not stay there as she still prefer the old neighbour style.

I totally agree with her comments.  As most will know, I recently moved to a new place and even though it is not a new estate but I can feel the difference in the neighbours. At my old place, the neighbours will catch up with each other when we see each other in the lift though we live in different storeys. Even if we don't talk but there will be friendly smiles on most of our neighbours.  As for those on the same floors, we will always help and talk to each other when we are at the corridoor. This is the reason why I prefer old estate. Maybe there is a old woman living in my body, which is why I prefer those friendliness and warmth of a kampung style of living though i didn't physically stay in a kampung before. It is sad to see that spirit is dissappearing with the development of the country.

Group 2:

An old couple boarded the bus where the old woman manage to get a seat quickly while her husband was standing at the front of the bus. However, the old woman notice that there is empty seats available at the back so she shouted in her dialect to her husband to come over. The husband only move to the seats after the bus went to a stop at a station. Then he was telling the wife that she shouldn't have shouted and he will actually get a seat for himself so the wife was not happy hearing his comment and they started a small argument.

Looking at them remind me of my own parents...though they care for each other but the way they talk always lead to small argument. So we should all be careful in the words we choose and the way we speak. I always believe that it is fate that brought 2 person together and not everyone has the chance to find the other half. On the other hand, maybe as we aged, this is also a way of them showing concern for each other. Will I be able to find that other half to have such unneccessary argument when I am old?

No comments: